Re: Problems installing MariaDB

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 07:59:57 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> I have not used a relational database since dBASEII was current.
> About a year ago I attempted to install MariaDB but didn't find
> tutorial which was a close enough match to my system.
>
> I found (and attempted to follow) instructions at:
>     https://www.tecmint.com/install-mariadb-in-debian/
>     https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/mariadb/mariadb-setup-debian/
>
> I successfully did:
>     apt-get install software-properties-common
>     apt-get install mariadb-server mariadb-client
>
> *BUT* both references auto-magically go to a GUI setup screen.
> I'm using Debian 9 with MATE.
> I don't find anything related on the Applications nor System menus.
> Help please.

There has been an issue with mariadb at some time, and I don't know if
it has been fixed yet. I ran into it a year or so ago. MySQL is quite
mature, and there is Debian support for the setup. The mysql-server
package contains extra Debian material. In the beginning, at least,
there was no such support for mariadb, and once installed (with an
empty root password), it was necessary to use the MySQL/mariadb command
line to set such a password.

The Debian mysql-server package contains this additional support, the
mysql-server-core package is slightly smaller, and doesn't. The support
includes the upstream mysql_secure_installation script, which can be
run after the main installation, and which sets a root password and
other simple security measures.

One workaround is to purge mariadb and install MySQL, which is still
available in sid so presumably elsewhere. Go through the startup
dialog, and once it is done, remove MySQL without purging and install
mariabd, which will inherit the databases set up by MySQL.

Another way: if you're going to make any kind of use of MySQL or
mariadb, it is impossible to avoid the command line completely. So start
learning now, such as how to login, how to reset the root password, how
to reset the root password if you don't know it but have OS root
access, the way that MySQL permissions are set, not for users alone but
for combinations of users and connecting hosts (wildcards are
available). Don't forget to flush the privileges after every change.
There are masses of tutorials for this stuff.

Note that recent versions of phpmyadmin, should you choose to use it,
no longer allows either empty passwords or root logins, so this isn't a
back way in. If you will use phpmyadmin, immediately set up another root
MySQL user by another name with every possible permission granted.

For anyone contemplating using mariadb on Android, it is installed with
an empty root password and *no* command line access. It is necessary to
find an SQL client that will log in without choosing a database (not
all do), login as root with no password, then use the SQL versions of
commands to set passwords, users etc.

--
Joe