Re: netboot images for Debian 9 seems is broken?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 07:24:25PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Yes. When you PXE boot, the kernel and initramfs comes from the
> netboot image that you downloaded in the past, but the archive will
> be different after a point release which can result in the
> installer's failure to load certain essential modules like
> filesystems.
>
> So in my experience every time there is a point release you need to
> re-download the netboot images that you are serving over PXE as
> well.
>
> > Are the PXE installers known to be a little flaky?
>
> I've got along with them okay as long as I remember to download a
> new one after every point release.
>
> I'm not 100% sure this is OP's problem (the Ubuntu reference is
> alarming), but if I was OP I'd certainly try doing that first.

Thanks for the tip about the point releases.  I didn't know that.
Previously I've updated the kernel and initrd each time there's a full
release.  That might well explain why I've found it a bit unreliable in
the past.

Last night I downloaded the kernel and initrd that the OP was
complaining about (from the link they provided) and ironically it fixed
my issue :-)  According to my preseed file, I'm using
ftp.uk.debian.org/debian.  I guess the OP must be pointing at the wrong
archive.

Thanks again for the tip, I'll resolve to update with each Point Release
in future!

Mike.