Re: apcupsd - system shut down on self test

On Fri, Jun 08, 2018 at 08:34:51AM +0200, deloptes wrote:
Hi,
I found today morning the server shutdown. When looking into the logs I
found that apcupsd performed self test. It said

Jun  8 07:56:21 server apcupsd[2404]: UPS Self Test switch to battery.
Jun  8 07:56:23 server apcupsd[2404]: Battery power exhausted.
Jun  8 07:56:23 server apcupsd[2404]: Initiating system shutdown!

The battery was replaced 1 or 2y ago and also it shouldn't just shut down
when testing - this emberassing.

Did someone have this and how do handle it. I would like to receive an
e-mail, but not a shut down.

Run "apcaccess" and look at the following values:
TIMELEFT - This is how long the UPS believes it is able to run the current load for, given the state of the batteries. MINTIMEL - This is, essentially, the amount of time the administrator believes is necessary to shut the load (i.e. Computer) down.

If TIMELEFT drops below MINTIMEL while the UPS is on batteries, then APC will begin shutting down the computer. Reasons it may do that after two seconds include failing batteries or simply that the run time is too short (i.e. your UPS does not have enough battery capacity to run the devices you have connected to it).

--
For more information, please reread.