Re: Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch: Bluetooth mouse is not working.

On Thu, 31 May 2018 11:04:10 -0500
"Martin McCormick" <martin.m@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> 	You might search web archives and internet discussion
> groups to see if there is a replacement driver for the mouse
> which is a real shame since it used to work but that particular
> module doesn't work which is valuable information but not, of
> course, what you wanted to know.

Any hints where to start and what to look for?

I bought this mouse because it was really silent and cheap (APOINT M302) and it was working with Debian Jessie.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Bluetooth-Ultra-thin-Rechargeable-Wireless-Mouse-Silent-Button-2015-computer-mouse-for-laptop-gift-mice/32368987723.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dCuQb1a

Officially Linux support was not mentioned, so it might be difficult to find a drivers for it.
I wonder what was changed between Debian releases  that this mouse is no longer working correctly? For me looks like a regression which should be fixed. Should I reported this as a bug? If "yes" then which module/driver should I specify as a victim?

> 	Can you get any other bluetooth device to pair and
> actually work with the dongle such as a headset or keyboard?

Yes, I was able to successfully connect some remote controller/gamepad which also has mouse option:

https://www.amazon.de/ddLUCK-Universal-Wireless-Controller-Bluetooth-Remote/dp/B01ICYZ7ZI/ref=sr_1_12/262-6869085-0156757?ie=UTF8&qid=1527838130&sr=8-12&keywords=mocute

Maybe I should also try with another BT mouse to see if it has the same issue or not.

> 	There are a lot of moving parts here such as the usb
> driver for the dongle and then there is the communication between
> the bluetooth device and the dongle.
>
> 	dmesg and syslog are very good tools in cases like this
> but the messages you will read aren't always the answers to the
> question of why this or that is happening.  They certainly do
> help you ask new questions and sometimes rule out rabbit holes
> you don't need to waste your time going down which is a blessing
> as the world of making the technology work for you is a regular
> warren of rabbit holes and anything that narrows down the
> solution is a force multiplier.
>
> 	One guess is that the driver for the bluetooth dongle is
> causing the grief because it sees events that it doesn't
> understand from the mouse.  It should understand every mouse move
> and button press so they can be passed on to the appropriate
> function calls related to mouse activity. The OS has mouse
> function calls and the driver translates mouse movement data in
> to steps that are either along the X or Y axese.  It doesn't have
> to do anything but feed those steps to the OS by making the
> appropriate function calls for movement and clicks.  It
> apparently can't do that so you need a different driver.
>
> 	It might also be that another bluetooth mouse speaks a
> different language and the driver understands it and works
> properly so I hope this gives you more food for thought.
>
> 	I don't really know anything specific to your problem so
> I am speaking in generalities as I have seen a number of usb
> devices such as a usb apple modem that shows activity in syslog
> when you plug it in to a usb port but due to a lack of a driver,
> it does absolutely nothing under Linux but get slightly warm to
> the touch.  Plug it in to a Mac and you're in to the dialup
> business.
>
> Martin McCormick

Thanks for elaborate explanation.

Kind regards,