Re: Upgrade from Jessie to Stretch: Bluetooth mouse is not working.

Piotr Martyniuk <zaxonxp45@gmail.com> writes:
>  Dear all,
>
> Recently I upgraded from Jessie to Stretch in order to be able to install
> new
> package versions.
> The upgrade seems to be successful (I did not have any errors in the
> process),
> but I noticed that the Blue tooth mouse is not working (it was working
> fine
> in
> Jessie).
>
> I am using USB dongle for blue-tooth connections. I can pair the mouse and
> connect to it. However moving a mouse and/or clicking has no effect
> (cursor
> stays where it was, clicks are not recognized).
>
> I would include more info (output from some commands, logs), however I am
> not
> sure what is relevant, so I would need some guidance in this.
>
> Kind regards,
> Piotr

	You might get some information from dmesg.  dmesg lists
all the electronic devices your system knows about when it booted
up such as sound cards, disk controllers and network interfaces.
Your computer should make note of the bluetooth interface and
might even throw an error message if it doesn't like something
about it.  The mouse should pair with the bluetooth system on
your computer and since your installation is an upgrade, this may
be an indication of trouble with the module associated with the
mouse.

	You can also see which modules your system loaded on boot
by using the command

lsmod

At least this is true in a number of Linux versions.  You don't
even have to be root.

wb5agz martin tmp $lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
binfmt_misc            20480  1
fuse                   90112  1
ppdev                  20480  0
dcdbas                 16384  0
nouveau              1359872  1
pcspkr                 16384  0
serio_raw              16384  0
evdev                  20480  1
mxm_wmi                16384  1 nouveau
snd_usb_audio         131072  0
wmi                    16384  2 mxm_wmi,nouveau
psmouse               118784  0
scsi_mod              180224  6 sd_mod,usb_storage,libata,uas,sr_mod,sg
3c59x                  45056  0
mii                    16384  1 3c59x
usbcore               184320  12 usbhid,snd_usb_audio,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,ohci_pci,uhci_hcd,ftdi_sio,usbserial,snd_usbmidi_lib,uas,ohci_hcd,ehci_pci
i2c_piix4              20480  0
usb_common             16384  1 usbcore
floppy                 57344  0

	Those were just some of the 81 modules that popped up on
the old Dell Dimension I am using, here.

	Notice the psmouse module.  You'll hopefully have something
comparable for the bluetooth mouse.  It may not appear until you
try to pair your mouse with bluetooth.

	Finally, there is a file in /etc called modules.  Any
module whose name appears on a line in that file will be loaded
on boot.  I used to have trouble on this system with sound from
the built-in sound chip set on the mother board.  It would
usually be a no-show as sound card 0 and a usb sound card would
intermittently show up as card 0.  By using /etc/modules to load
the sound module for the built-in card, it is always card 0.

	Use that feature carefully since modules you don't
actually need just waste resources.

	That should get you started with an afternoon of
head-scratching/banging as these things can be frustrating so
patience is a virtue.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ since October 1969 Alive since 1951.