Re: exim4 and TLS Once Again

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:
> And exim's logs say â?¦?

2018-05-28 14:56:38 1fNL0J-0003CQ-70 H=smtp.suddenlink.net [208.180.40.68]: Remote host closed connection in response to initial connection
2018-05-28 14:56:38 1fNL0J-0003CQ-70 == martin@okstate.edu R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (-18) H=smtp.suddenlink.net [208.180.40.68]: Remote host closed connection in response to initial connection

That is 100% of the diagnostic help.  With the -d flag, that part
still doesn't change.  All one gets with the -d flag is lots of
file descriptors opening and closing.

	The only thing the log seems to show is that the
authentication process goes wrong instantly but no clue whether
or what causes that.

	I have looked in the man page and the word smarthost
doesn't appear.

/usr/share/doc/exim4-base/

has nothing with one file briefly mentioning a smarthost but no
best practices or sample configuration examples.

	I also know experimentally that no part of
/etc/exim4/passwd.client appears in the
/var/lib/exim4/config.autogenerated file so exim4 must give that
out on demand or maybe I should say it is part of the output
generated during the session.

	Either the passwd.client file needs something else or
another file needs modification as the user name and password are
known to be good.

	The experiment was to generate a new conf.autogenerated
file after modifying passwd.client and using diff between it and
the previous config.autogenerated file.  They were a perfect match.

	If there is a document somewhere describing this setup
for exim4.80 or above, it should be useful as the changes
apparently took place around version 4.79 or 4.80 and this
version is 4.89.

	The fact that you are reading this message is proof that
the user ID and password still work with smtp.suddenlink.net,
just not in exim4 yet.

Thank you.

Martin McCormick