Re: Usability BUG - Which package appropriate?

On 05/29/2018 05:03 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>>> *HOWEVER!!!!!*
>>> The first line stated "Emacs 26.1 is out, download it here!"
>>> Bu [https://packages.debian.org/stretch/emacs] refers to
>>> "Package: emacs (46.1)".
>>
>> And goes onto say that it's a metapackage that depends on emacs24; so,
>> in true Debian fashion, they're on what they consider to be "stable",
>> even if it means it's a few versions behind.
>
> BOTHER to read links?????????????
> Debian claims to be *20* MAJOR  releases *AHEAD* of source.

Adding to what David wrote, the description for (meta-)package emacs
reads as follows:

 GNU Emacs is the extensible self-documenting text editor. This is a
metapackage that will always depend on the latest recommended Emacs release.

Taking a look at the dependencies of this metapackage, they are as follows:

Depends: emacs24 | emacs24-lucid | emacs24-nox

Now, looking at the emacs24 package, it seems to have all the relevant
information.

Package: emacs24
Version: 24.5+1-11+deb9u1
[...]
[...]
Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

I haven't really noticed that any packages missing their homepages (if
they exist). Moreover, most packages already include their own
documentation (or have a -doc package) which can usually answer whatever
question you might want answered from the webpage, right on your local
system!

As an aside, please avoid being hostile in the mailing list. People are
often just trying to help, no need to snap at them. :)