Re: making more room in root partition for distribution upgrade

On Fri 25 May 2018 at 11:19:58 (+0200), Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 05/21/2018 03:55 PM, David Wright wrote:
>
> >As for appendix C in the Installation Manual, well that looks like
> >a bit of a joke: who's running linux in 256MB memory, let alone 16MB?
> >

> One of my older machines still runs Wheezy LTS in 224 MB RAM. And
> soon I am going to try an upgrade to Jessie.

Another data point to support my thesis on sampling bias, but you've
given no indication of what you're able to run in that amount of
memory, what swap space you have, etc.

You selected these words: "appendix C in the Installation Manual, well
that looks like a bit of a joke". Let me quote a paragraph from the
stable (stretch) version of June 2017 (§C.3):

  "As an example, an older home machine might have 32MB of RAM and a
  1.7GB IDE drive on /dev/sda. There might be a 500MB partition for
  another operating system on /dev/sda1, a 32MB swap partition on
  /dev/sda3 and about 1.2GB on /dev/sda2 as the Linux partition."

Now here's an earlier version that reads almost the same:

  "As an example, the author's home machine has 32MB of RAM and a
  1.7GB IDE drive on /dev/hda. There is a 500MB DOS partition on
  /dev/hda1 (should have made it 200MB as it never gets used).
  A 32MB swap partition is used on /dev/hda3 and the rest
  (about 1.2GB on /dev/hda2) is the Linux partition."

That was written on 23 June, 1998 for Debian Linux 2.0 (hamm), which
would run in 4MB RAM with 40MB of diskspace.

Cheers,
David.