Re: Nvidia, BOINC and Steam

On Wed, 2018-05-16 at 22:46 +0200, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've been working with a stable Debian for a few years now (three
> major
> releases), with backports depots for a few tools I use regularly. I
> need a proprietary Nvidia driver for essentially two things : Steam,
> because I'm a Civ V gamer, and BOINC, because my computer is up
> 24h/day.
>
> There was a backport update of the nvidia drivers a few weeks ago, I
> tried to migrate. But then Steam wouldn't work anymore (32bits
> libglx,
> or something like this, complaint). I ended up breaking everything
> trying to get back to stable.
>
> I finally was able to recover in console, erasing one by one the
> backports packages (they cooperate to not let them be deinstalled,
> those little bastards !!!)
>
> Now, I have the stable nvidia kernel driver (375.82), but I've
> noticed
> some BOINC apps complaining about not finding a GPU (Seti@Home, for
> sure, and I haven't seen Primegrid works for a while...). Djezus, I
> HAVE a GPU, it cost me enough (950, not the best one, but the most
> powerful I was able to "sell" to my wife :-)
>
> I don't know exactly what to do, if anyone could provide me with a
> checklist of what to install to be able to make Steam AND BOINC work
> with ANY Nvidia driver version, I would be so grateful...
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> \bye

On Buster as no 32 bit available, presumably also for Stretch.
Only way I found to get Steam working well was via flatpak.
as root or sudo,

apt-get install flatpak

then as user

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/fla
thub.flatpakrepo

flatpak install flathub com.valvesoftware.Steam

flatpak run com.valvesoftware.Steam

no idea about BOINC