Re: UEFI/"BIOS" booting

Le 16/05/2018 à 00:10, Pascal Hambourg a écrit :
Le 15/05/2018 à 08:51, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :

- No MBR partition with boot flag is bad on some very few BIOS
   implementations.

Not so few in my experience.

- Compromise is to set the boot flag on a dummy partition of type 0x00.
   This is barely UEFI-compliant because the specs say that a partition of
   type 0x00 shall be regarded as non-existent.

I never thought about this. It may be a workaround with my old UEFI motherboard. Thanks for the tip, I will try it and report.

The trick indeed worked with my old motherboard ! Good to know, thanks.

However there are some caveats :
- I had to use the old fdisk version from Wheezy because newer versions and other partition editors would not allow to set the boot flag on an empty partition entry. - parted silently erased the flag when I used it to edit the GPT table. I expected it, because parted had already reset a hybrid MBR I had set up with gdisk to a standard protective MBR.