Re: UEFI/"BIOS" booting
Le 16/05/2018 à 00:10, Pascal Hambourg a écrit :
Le 15/05/2018 à 08:51, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :
- Boot flag on MBR partition of type 0xEE is bad on several EFI
- No MBR partition with boot flag is bad on some very few BIOS
Not so few in my experience.
- Compromise is to set the boot flag on a dummy partition of type 0x00.
This is barely UEFI-compliant because the specs say that a
type 0x00 shall be regarded as non-existent.
I never thought about this. It may be a workaround with my old UEFI
motherboard. Thanks for the tip, I will try it and report.
The trick indeed worked with my old motherboard ! Good to know, thanks.
However there are some caveats :
- I had to use the old fdisk version from Wheezy because newer versions
and other partition editors would not allow to set the boot flag on an
empty partition entry.
- parted silently erased the flag when I used it to edit the GPT table.
I expected it, because parted had already reset a hybrid MBR I had set
up with gdisk to a standard protective MBR.