Re: Problem with Firefox Quantum v-650.0

On Thu, 10 May 2018 11:07:43 -0400 Stephen P. Molnar said:

[--8<--]

> comp@AbNormal:/opt/firefox$ ./firefox
> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/firefox/libnspr4.so:
> /opt/firefox/libnspr4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
> or directory
> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>
> What I find really puzzling is that I can run the new version in my user
> directory tree without any problems.

Just a raw guess. NSPR address might be be taken from somewhere in current
directory, failing that from a config setting in your home directory. In /opt
directory there may be a pointer (conf file, symlink, etc.) to
"/opt/firefox/libnspr4.so" as NSPR address.

When you run firefox from within /opt, then this address is found in the
current directory, which fails. When you run firefox from anywhere else (not
just your home dir) then no pointer is found in the current directory, so your
default config setting for NSPR in your home takes precedence, which succeeds.

I would have tested this by running firefox from a completely different
(not /opt, not /home/user) directory. If it runs, then maybe this hypothesis
has a chance.

Regards
--
Abdullah Ramazanoğlu