Problem with Firefox Quantum v-650.0

I've encountered a strange problem with the latest release of Firefox Quantum v-60.0.

Up to this point the previous versions, the 59.x.x, series had been very happily residing in /opt/firefox. I uncompressed the downlo9aded file as a user and thee copied the firefox directory tree as root

I did the upgrade exactly the same way, but now when I try opening firefox I get:

comp@AbNormal:/opt/firefox$ ./firefox
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/firefox/libnspr4.so:
/opt/firefox/libnspr4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.

What I find really puzzling is that I can run the new version in my user directory tree without any problems.

What is going on here?

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.