Removing libsystemd0 from a non-systemd system

Have any advances been made in figuring out just how to remove libsystemd0 from a Debian 9 machine that's running sysvinit? The ongoing presence of libsystemd0 has caused slowly-progressing trouble with several machines of mine culminating in complete failure a couple days ago. Initially I thought this was unrelated to systemd, but now I tracked it down to systemd's remnants and the problem is progressing much faster with freshly-installed machines.

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org