Re: messed up release in apt

On Tue 01 May 2018 at 08:11:28 (-0500), Anil Duggirala wrote:
> > If it were my machine (so that if I sank it I would be the only one
> > go down with the ship), I might run:
> >
> >  'apt-key update'
> >

> When running that command I am getting :
> Warning: 'apt-key update' is deprecated and should not be used anymore!
> Note: In your distribution this command is a no-op and can therefore be
> removed safely.
>
> > after removing
> >
> >  '/etc/apt/trusted.gpg'
> >
> When you say removing you mean :
> rm /etc/apt/trusted.gpg ?
>
> I appreciate any other alternative procedure to correct this,
> thanks,

I don't know if this rather long thread would help. It does appear
that /etc/apt/trusted.gpg is no longer used, in favour of
/etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ but if the former exists, it can cause
problems. There's a new user on stretch called _apt but I don't
know its function.

BTW when someone writes "remove file foo", it's generally safer
to interpret this as "mv -i foo some-safe-hidden-place" rather
than destroying its contents altogether. The same goes for
directories, move them rather than deleting them.

A lot of configuration files have rather strict naming requirements
which makes them very easy to hide.

Cheers,
David.