Re: Debian glossary?

On 04/30/2018 07:23 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Monday, April 30, 2018 07:46:01 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
Debian documentation NOT written for hoi polloi.

Man pages by their nature/purpose assume a certain level of expertise.
They can be daunting for the uninitiated.

Comments?

True.  Have you read one or more general introductions to Linux (I have none
to suggest at the momen).

Yeah, but not recently.
You just reminded me that I have ~1500 pages of dusty dead trees available.

Man pages are (or were, at least) intended to be more reminders for people
that have at least a basic understanding of the command (or subject) rather
than a tool to learn about it from scratch.

PREACH it brother. I've made similar comments in the past.
The problem on this list is that newbies are often told
        "*READ THE MANUAL!*"
as if it were a panacea.

(When I switched from Windows to LInux, I found it very frustrating until I
read several introductions to Linux (of various sorts, including at least
skimming some thick books full of commands), and, I joined a local LUG.)

I've followed a similar path abandoning WinXP for Squeeze.
The local LUG folded before I retired a decade ago. Never had a chance to attend any meetings as they were on weekday evenings and I worked graveyard shift. The nearest LUG's I know of are ~200 miles away (I live in RURAL S.W. Missouri where individual species of livestock outnumber people ;)

A partial solution might include "Summer of Documentation" projects along side of "Summer of Code".