Re: Network-related Chicken and Egg Issue, attempting Install of Debian 9.4

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 03:13:09PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
> On 04/21/18 14:24, Kenneth Parker wrote:
>
> > One more thing:  Because of some changes, from 8 to 9, I am being asked to
> > do Network Administration, with both Hands behind my Back:  Debian CD1
> > does  *NOT*  install the ifconfig command, which I might have been able to
> > use, to troubleshoot, even *FINDING* the WiFi Adapter.  Ouch!
>
> AFAIK ifconfig was superseded by some component of systemd.

systemd may be to blame for a myriad of woes, but this is not
one of them.

iproute2 showed up in wheezy-backports and was standard in
jessie. It has a more consistent syntax and offers the power of
several tools wrapped up in one executable... plus it's closer
to the syntax of several other UNIXes.

And, as you pointed out, ifconfig and route and friends are
still installable.

-dsr-