Re: Network-related Chicken and Egg Issue, attempting Install of Debian 9.4

Hello David,

On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 6:13 PM, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
On 04/21/18 14:24, Kenneth Parker wrote:
... wireless.kernel.org to download Firmware for this B43 Device.

My decommissioned Dell Inspiron E1505 required the same firmware.  I bought a replacement WiFi card in the hopes it would be better supported by GNU/Linux and *BSD, but can't remember if that idea worked...

This is a Laptop.

But how do I download something, when I have no Internet, due to this
"Non-Free Chipset"?

You need another device that can access the Internet, download the file, and put it onto a USB flash drive in the 'firmware' directory:

I went partway through that, even using Broadcom's Site and bringing a DRIVER in.  But I'm in a Learning Curve, regarding Firmware Updates.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch06s04.html.en

Thanks! I will read those.

In other words, a long-term Linux Geek, all the way back to Debian 2.1
(Command Line Only, back in 2000) is stymied with something that, back then
could easily have been fixed, by copying files from a different System, via
Floppy Disks!   Oh well...

Vote with your dollars -- buy FOSS-friendly hardware.

This isn't my Computer.  But Point well taken!

One more thing:  Because of some changes, from 8 to 9, I am being asked to
do Network Administration, with both Hands behind my Back:  Debian CD1
does  *NOT*  install the ifconfig command, which I might have been able to
use, to troubleshoot, even *FINDING* the WiFi Adapter.  Ouch!

AFAIK ifconfig was superseded by some component of systemd.

It's still, temporarily available in a "deprecated package"  Net-Tools.  Since it's now marked "Optional", it's not on CD-1.  Here at home, where I'm "Mirroring" the MacBook on Virtualbox, I will study the new "ip" Command, and see if it can show me the  WiFi Adapter, even though it's down.

If enough people install net-tools and popularity-contest, ifconfig(8) will make it to CD 1.

See, that was the problem:  When I needed them most, Command Line Options, that have been around FOREVER, weren't there.  I looked like a Doofus!

Incidentally, I was unable to find a book titled "SystemD for Dummies".  I absolutely feel like a Dummy, around *THAT*!

Alternatively, try Devuan:

https://devuan.org/

Thanks!  I'll install it under Virtualbox.

Alternatively, I could have used Debian 8, which is, likely still being supported.

David

Kenneth Parker
--  Still feeling like a Dinosaur!