Re: Error while upgrading from Wheezy to Stretch

On Thursday 19 April 2018 15:23:16 Dan Ritter wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 02:47:05PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 April 2018 11:32:28 Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > > The only thing I would say is use apt "pinning" to prioritize the
> > > backports repository lower than the other repositories so you
> > > don't accidentally get backports for *everything* that has a
> > > backport available.
> >
> > Hijacking a thread here, but it reads like I might be reading an
> > expert.
> >
> > "Pinning" is an interesting subject Roberto, interesting because the
> > info on how to do it is generally skipped over, or only mentioned in
> > passing, with NO examples of how to do it in the man pages
> > available. I have it working on one machine, but it was a heck of a
> > trip getting there, and I still have had no confirmation that I
> > actually did it correctly. That machine is a raspi-3b running
> > jessie. But with an rt-preempt kernel because its main
> > reason-de-terre is LinuxCNC.  Its running a 3/4 ton metal working
> > lathe.
> >
> > In /etc/apt/preferences.d/kernel.pref:
> > pi@picnc:/etc/apt/preferences.d $ cat kernel.pref
> > Package:linux-kernel
> > pin: version 4.4.4-rt9-v7+
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
> >
> > Package: linux-headers
> > Pin: version 4.4.4-rt9-v7+
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
> >
> > Package: raspberrypi-bootloader
> > Pin: version 1.20170427-1
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
> >
> > Package: raspberrypi-kernel
> > Pin: version 1.20170427-1
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
> >
> > Is this the approved method? All I know is that for me, its working,
> > and anything related to a kernel update is skipped.
>
> Indiscriminate pinning is terrible. That's because it's a
> powerful tool. 1001 is almost certainly not what you really
> want to do here if you are regularly updating your system. And
> if you are not updating your system at all, you don't need
> to apt-pin.
>
> Here's a quick guide that I wrote some time ago:
>
> ---
>
> Let us suppose that you are running Debian stable, but there are
> some packages that you would like from the backports archive.
> However, you don’t want all backports replacements to be brought
> in.
>
> In etc/apt/sources.list.d/backposts.list add the backports repo.
> As I write this, Jessie is stable, so:
>
> deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main contrib
> non-free
>
> Note that the source lists must end with .list or they will be
> ignored.
>
> In etc/apt/preferences.d/priorities:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=jessie
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=jessie-backports
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> and run apt-get update
>
> There are magic levels for the numbers in the priority field.
> [...]

Upgradeing to the next stable on arm's in general will likely be done by
installing the system on a u-sd card with dd, from an image built by the
linuxcnc people, and will continue to be until such time as debian also
supports the rt kernel flavors, which isn't even done for the *86 stuff.
Building that image is a major project, which is why our *86 machines
are still running wheezy. Might have 10 jessie installs, all but mine on
*86 machines. Not debians fault, nor am I blaming debian, its a lack of
manpower and interest for an app thats a niche with a few thousand
machines/users. More if you count the machines each user has, 4 for me
and I'm just a hobbiest. But its the goto software when folks get tired
of mach, or the proprietary stuff dies and the vendor has disappeared
but the machine is still mechanically good, so it controls get
converted. And often surprises the people with how much faster the
machine is. It (we think) is whats makeing the Toyota racing engine for
instance. Or was, we think toy pulled down a youtube video of that some
time back. Running a multi axis machining center worth around $250k.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)