Re: Pinning (was Re: Error while upgrading from Wheezy to Stretch)

On Thursday 19 April 2018 14:59:04 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 02:47:05PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Hijacking a thread here, but it reads like I might be reading an
> > expert.
> >
> > "Pinning" is an interesting subject Roberto, interesting because the
> > info on how to do it is generally skipped over, or only mentioned in
> > passing, with NO examples of how to do it in the man pages
> > available.
>
> For backports, the <https://backports.debian.org/Instructions/>
> say:
>
>   All backports are deactivated by default (i.e. the packages are
> pinned to 100 by using ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes in the Release files.
>
> Beyond that, pinning is strongly discouraged in the IRC channel.  The
> channel's bot says:
>
>   Bugs are explained at
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20121017070250/http://carlo17.home.xs4all.
>nl/howto/debian.html#errata
>
> I don't know why the page was removed, forcing the archive retrieval.
> But there you have it.
>
> Usually a user's attempt to do pinning is one of the steps leading to
> what we call a "frankendebian" system, which is completely broken and
> unfixable.  Hence, the strong discouragement against using it.

I realize that Greg, but debian's support for armhf for unusual
applications that require a realtime environment, is at its finest, an
afterthought and discarded. We linuxcnc runners are used to it.  So we
build our own kernels and pin them.

And so far, jessies apt has not issued a complaint other than advising me
when a kernel update has been skipped.

Stretch on armhf, or arm64 (pine64/rock64) from the pine sites offerings
is a disaster with sub 24 hour uptimes, so I am stuck on jessie, whose
uptimes running this particular machine are from power bump to power
bump. With a battery backup, which it doesn't have, uptimes would be
essentially for the life of the battery. A superCap might even do it as
I have a 20 kw auto starting standby here, power outages are about 5
seconds.

Funny part is that I have built, on the rock64 using its own arm64
compiler tools, one of the latest linux-rt kernels from that linux-rt
mailing list, on the rock64, takes around an hour, but I can't get the
pine people to tell me how to install it. I'd give you its version, but
the rock64 is currently not online. Its running I think, but no one is
logged in from its own keyboard. Some security minded person, in his
infinite wisdom, has decreed that the networking will not be started
until a user is logged in from its own keyboard. But howinhell can an
ssh login be done over the cable when the networking has to be started
by that same user which starts x too, me, going out and convincing the
monitor to stay on the rocks cable long enough so I can login from its
own keyboard. Classic chicken v egg no one gave any consideration to.

How do I fix that for starters?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)