Re: is this drive dying?

On Sunday 15 April 2018 18:38:44 songbird wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > The long test was good fwtw. The only notable odd reading was head
> > flying hours, which should be close to spinning hours, but in both
> > instances must have been a 512 bit value pulled out of thin air.
> > Buggy firmware? I don't recall ever taking that model to seagates
> > site to see if there was an updated version.
> >
> > If I buy a drive from staples/newegg etc, thats the first thing I
> > do, they buy theirs so early in a production run that they are
> > buggier than 10 day old roadkill in late August.
> >
> > The rest of you may want to keep that little tidbit in mind.

>   i doubt i'll ever be buying a spinning hard drive
> ever again.  the one i have is for backups and used
> once in a while but mostly is turned off.  when the
> SSD gets close to being full i'll likely be able to
> get one with 8x the capacity for about the same
> price.  we'll see...
>
>   compared to the good old days of spinning drums,
> punch cards, paper tapes, 9 track tapes and disk
> drives the size of commercial washing machines you
> can say that technology has certainly marched on...

I can recall the weekly re-calibration those drives needed too. About an
8 hour procedure, and its disk pack, carried a 14 incher that held 10
megabytes. An old TI-9900 machine, about the size of a refrigerator, had
2 of them. One worked nonstop for the 2 years I was at that tv station
as the A.C.E.  The other would fail at least weekly, and a restart was
useless until this re-calibration had been done. The maker, Dynex IIRC,
was helpless at helping me do it. Typical of a California outfit,
designed it, made it, sold a few to TI, and then fired everyone smarter
than the janitor.

>   songbird

That it most certainly has. I'd likely be following along but this now
ancient quad core, slow, phenom I built over a decade back just keeps
toddling along, without giving me a good reason to retire it. Asus's top
of the line boards just keep going.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)