Re: Ideal place to set environment variables

On Mon 09 Apr 2018 at 08:32:00 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 11:47:19AM +0100, Jonathan de Boyne Pollard wrote:

… a post that doesn't seem to have made it to the archives.
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/04/author.html

> >   <head>
>
> Really? :-(
>
> > </pre>
> >       manual page that I pointed to before, alongside a <code>~</code>
> >       metacharacter which yields your desired result fairly trivially.
>
> OK.  I confess I only looked at the "setenv" section which says "A
> comma-separated list of environment variables and values to which they
> are to be set."  Then jumped to the bottom to look for examples, of
> which there are zero.
>
> I guess I should have read every single sentence, to find the part
> about `~' and `$'.  That looks sufficient for all the real-world
> cases I've seen.

Looks to me like a bug in the man page. That paragraph doesn't
belong under "Authentication".
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=login.conf

Cheers,
David.