Re: SSD's and many edits of a single file

On Monday 09 April 2018 09:02:55 Stefan Monnier wrote:

> >> So the actual disk isn't to blame (cat'ing a file that was just
> >> saved won't look at the disk anyway).
> >
> > Whats it look at 5+ minutes later?
>
> Same difference: if `cat` can't see it, then the change hasn't been
> received by the OS at all (even less so by the underlying disk).
>
> > The file had not been updated yet an hour later. Ext4's journal in
> > my understanding has a maximum of 5 minutes to sync?  Its now around
> > 10 hours later and has not yet been updated with the last two lines
> > I'd added.
>
> The changes you see in `cat`s output will be transferred to disk
> eventually, yes.  But those that aren't visible to `cat` just don't
> exist, as far as the OS is concerned.
>
> > What else is a good editor?
>
> Is that a trick question?

Twasn't intended to be.

However I did find (I actually read its man page!) an alias setting that
makes nano do line at a time scrolling and installed it, so I'll try it
when I get back to that project later today. nano hasn't made a mistake
yet that I didn't do typeing in the wrong place. A big, rapidly blinking
BLOCK cursor would help these old eyes find it a lot easier. But in 20
years thats fallen out of style, dammit.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)