Re: Help needed with home network configuration

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 00:32:05 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> David Wright wrote:

> >> If he's using the buffalo device to "repeat" the wifi signal (which he
> >> isn't), then yes the throughput would tank.
> >
> > OK, I'll just assume you don't know. Anybody else actually doing this
> > (separate band (like 2/5 GHz) or channel (like channel 1/6/11) for the
> > backhaul (inter-router) link)?
>
> If you have a device repeating a WiFi signal, it *will* use the same
> channel as the upstream AP.  It *cannot* use a different channel.
>
> In the event you have a dual-band AP, and the following conditions are
> true
>
>   - 5GHz uplink
>   - 2.4 GHz for clients
>
> Then you are not "repeating" the WiFi signal to the downstream client
> devices (and the throughput losses I mentioned would not come into
> play).

There are also apparently some units (even consumer grade ones), that
have two diferent radios both on (different) 5 GHz bands, so one could
use one for client access and one for uplink (although I have no
experience with this):

https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resource-center/basics/multiple-wifi-bands-difference/

Celejar