Re: Help needed with home network configuration

David Wright wrote:
> On Sat 07 Apr 2018 at 20:17:56 (-0000), Dan Purgert wrote:
>> David Wright wrote:

>> > Then I'm not sure why you wrote "Good deal". I'd be wanting the
>> > wireless connectivity described above as not needed, though obviously
>> > on a separate band/channel. Were you implying that that would kill
>> > throughput for everything too?
>>
>> If he's using the buffalo device to "repeat" the wifi signal (which he
>> isn't), then yes the throughput would tank.
>
> OK, I'll just assume you don't know. Anybody else actually doing this
> (separate band (like 2/5 GHz) or channel (like channel 1/6/11) for the
> backhaul (inter-router) link)?

If you have a device repeating a WiFi signal, it *will* use the same
channel as the upstream AP.  It *cannot* use a different channel.

In the event you have a dual-band AP, and the following conditions are
true

  - 5GHz uplink
  - 2.4 GHz for clients

Then you are not "repeating" the WiFi signal to the downstream client
devices (and the throughput losses I mentioned would not come into
play).

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947