Re: changing local domain name

On Fri, 30 Mar 2018 21:17:26 -0500
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 30 Mar 2018 at 19:24:21 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> > I do not know where the OP is coming from or, without further
> > detail, where he wants to go.
>
> AIUI or thought I did, the OP wants to change their host foo's
> domainname from   foo.local   to   foo.home.

>                         ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑
> I'm not sure what is meant here.

> This surprises me.

> Can't help with this.

> It can't come as a surprise that one should reconfigure the email
> system (and network connection) after changing the name of the domain,
> and it shouldn't be that difficult.

There is a deep well of ambiguity here, and inevitably it was dug by
Microsoft. From the beginning of networking in DOS, an MS computer had
an individual name and a group name. Initially the group was a
'workgroup', then along came NT with its security/vendor-lock-in
feature of 'domains'. MS domains are basically Kerberos realms
underpinned by LDAP, and in their beginning, had no connection with
Internet domains. For the last decade or so, MS domains have been
somewhat aligned with Internet domains, and the Windows DNS server is
closely tied to the LDAP Active Directory.

Over on this Path, domains have always been an Internet issue, for
finding servers and sending email. They do not have any real meaning
for Linux workstations. However, if CIFS is in use in a network, most
of its tools will want the name of a workgroup or domain, for
interoperation with Windows machines, of which Samba is a simulation. A
working Internet mail server will also need to know its domain name(s)
and will itself have at least one public FQDN, but there's no reason why
any of the domain names it serves need to have any CIFS awareness or
connection with a Windows or other local domain name. My mail server at
present handles three public domains, only one of which I use locally.
If a DNS server is in use in even a small network, again this will need
a domain name.

It is a matter of practicality, therefore, to give a private network a
domain name. If you lease a public domain name, there is no real
difficulty about using it also in a private network, just a matter of
making sure that external resources using the name can also be found in
local DNS or hosts files.

--
Joe