Re: Update: Re: Password Manager opinions and recommendations

rhkramer@gmail.com writes:

> Thanks to all who replied!
>
> I thought I'd summarize where I am:
>
> I like three of the suggestions (from what I've seen / investigated (slightly)
> so far, but with some comments:
>
>    * pass: appeals to me a lot--the one problem for me (for which I believe
> I've found the solution) is that it stores the encrypted password files in my
> /home.  I have what might be called a "religious" aversion to storing what I
> consider "real" user data in /home.  I've looked at the source code, and I see
> where $HOME is used to create that directory.  If I use pass, I will, at the
> very least, modify that in my own copy, but also write to the author and
> suggest that he allow a command line parameter (or config file) change the
> location of the directory.

Set the PASSWORD_STORE_DIR environment variable to point to your
location of choice.  This is mentioned in the "Environment Variables"
section of the pass(1) manpage.

One thing I like about pass is its ability to encrypt using multiple
keys.  This lets me use the repository both on my computer and my phone
without the private keys leaving either device.

--
regards,
kushal