Re: how to view config file changes without running an upgrade?

On 22. 03. 2018 11:14, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> On 03/21/18 17:18, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>> Then you need a second system, to test the upgrades on.  If you don't
>> keep one around at all times, then you could create one on the fly
>> with debootstrap, rsync your current configs into it, and test the
>> upgrade in there.
>>

> We have tons of stage systems. EMail stage systems are especially painful.
> They are constantly out of sync to the production host, making it even
> more necessary to review the diffs between the config files in the most
> recent packages and the installed files *before* running an upgrade.
>
> Dovecot was just an example, anyway.

How I've done it in the past for Dovecot and Exim is to copy the root
filesystem from the server to another machine, chroot into it and then
upgrade the dovecot- and exim-related packages.

Review any config file changes in the chroot, test the config as far as
it can be done offline, and then run the upgrade on the server (with
everything backed up first, of course)

Best regards
Tomaž