how to view config file changes without running an upgrade?

Hi folks,

How can I view the diffs between my local modified config file
(maybe modified 2 years ago) and the maintainer's config file
included in the currently installed package or in a pending
package upgrade? I would like to review my diffs, before running
"apt upgrade".

I am a big fan of etckeeper, but it cannot help in this case:
It looses track of the unmodified config files included with new
package versions.

Regards
Harri