Re: how to view config file changes without running an upgrade?

On 03/21/18 12:44, The Wanderer wrote:
On 2018-03-21 at 04:13, Harald Dunkel wrote:

So... are you entirely sure that you even need to check it *before*
initiating the upgrade? The mid-upgrade prompt might be enough.

Yes, I am sure.

Its pretty painful to resolve config file conflicts in (lets say)
dovecot at upgrade time, putting EMail access for +200 users at risk.
I have to check in advance. Resolving config file conflicts during
the upgrade is too late.

If so, the only way of doing so that I can think of would be to get the
source of the relevant version of the relevant package ('apt-get source
packagename') and look at the copy of the relevant file from under that
source tree. (And possibly check for the presence of scripts that might
automatically modify that during the package build, or even during the
preinst, but I would expect that such a situation would be rare.)

Now your assumption is that I know in advance, which packages produce a
conflict. I cannot tell.

To check I would like to run something like

	checkconfig xyz.deb

after download, but before upgrade of package xyz.

Of course I could open the deb file, grab all config files and diff them
with the installed version. But it would be very nice to get an "official"
tool for this.

Regards
Harri