Re: How to mount or link as extention of fs?

On Sat 17 Mar 2018 at 18:33:59 (-0700), Joseph Loo wrote:
> On 03/17/2018 03:32 PM, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > I have separated my /home file system from root so I can
> > install new systems without clobbering it. To make it most
> > useful is there any way I can mount, link, whatever, it so
> > that it appears to be an extension of, or included in,
> > /home? That is not just another mount on the root fs.
> >
> > TIA Dennis
> >
> Have you ever thought of doing an autofs mount on the /home directory?
> That way you do not need to have it a separate partition. I just mount
> the individual home directories to the /home mount point.

But doesn't that just push the problem down one level, which
multiplies it by the number of directories you had under /home.

> If you have an autofs setup, you could have the individual directories
> on different machines and share the same directory. If you are clever
> enough, you could even have multiple directories for the same user come
> from different nfs servers, e.g. ~user/Picture can be in one location
> and ~user/Documents from another location.

I do something a bit like this with my picture/video/flac/etc archives,
but I don't see the need to have these mounts made within the user's
own home directory.

> But the user logging into the
> machine would only see it as a single location without any links.

These archive-style directories aren't really the interesting issue.
What's important about *home* is the dot files and directories.
Having them scattered about on different machines can raise issues
because many of them are not suitable for sharing. What do you do
to cope with this? It also requires all the various sources to be
up before a user gets their home directory fully populated.

Cheers,
David.