Re: Debian on flash a store.

Fair call - I should have said 1.x or something. :-)

> I ran SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 16 GB flash drives as poor-man's SSD
> system drives for several years, connected to motherboard type A USB
> 3.0, 2.0, and 1.1 ports.  I booted the Debian Installer on CD and
> installed to the USB drive just like any other drive.  Reads were
> noticeably faster than HDD's, but moderate to heavy writes caused GUI
> desktops to become choppy.  I still keep two for diagnostic and rescue
> use -- one with Debian i386 and the other with Debian amd64.  I bought
> them from Amazon, but some retailers might carry them.

Ordinary usb flash drives are easy enough to get, and cheap. I should
probably just try those (planning on 2 in raid). I'm not using them for
anything GUI; the one I have running atm is an openvpn endpoint. There
are many Sandisk and other options - I guess my main consideration is
something slim enough that I can fit two in adjacent ports.

Thanks,
Richard