Re: Debian on flash a store.

On 14/03/18 15:35, David Christensen wrote:
> On 03/13/18 17:00, Richard Hector wrote:
>> Apologies for the diversion - does anyone know if there are USB flash
>> drives that _are_ built for full-time use, as a system disk?
>>
>> I've got some old thin clients that could do with storage upgrades that
>> are a bit easier to come by than the weird (PATA?) flash modules they
>> come with. Obviously I could just hook up an external USB ssd, but I'd
>> like to keep the small form factor if I can - then they can go inside
>> the case.
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=disk+on+module&t=ffsb&ia=web
>

> http://www.memorydepot.com/ssd_diskonmodule.html

Interesting, thanks - it appears that I could replace the existing
module after all - and possibly add a SATA one, depending on which way
round they are. I'm not entirely sure about the power situation though -
there seem to be multiple ways of getting power through the data port;
are they all backwards compatible? Does my system need to support it
explicitly, or will any old sata port work?

I see there are USB DOMs as well, but most/many of them want an internal
header rather than a type A socket, which is all I have. And some of
them say they're USB 3, backward compatible with USB 2 ... I'm not sure
which of my ports are what standard; some of them may even be 1 ...

Almost none of these seem to be available locally in New Zealand though,
so I'd have to import something, which is a bit more of a hassle.

Cheers,
Richard