Re: Help needed with home network configuration

On Fri 09 Mar 2018 at 12:31:35 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 09 March 2018 10:18:23 Reco wrote:
>
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:30:53PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> > > For many years I have used my desktp as a network/firewall server
> > > with two interfaces one facing the internet (through ADSL) and the
> > > other the local network.
> > >
> > > Now I have a fibre connection and for a month both connections will
> > > be available in parallel.
> > >
> > > I have decided to use my Raspberry Pi3 as the firewall/network
> > > server in future but have after many hours failed to do so
> > > successfully.
> >
> > A suboptimal idea IMO. These Broadcom chipsets are only good for video
> > output, their 100Mbps "Ethernet" is actually hardwired to USB, and
> > their WiFi is a PITA (I used Raspberry Pi3 as WiFi AP for half a year.
> > Never again). They make good SPI programmers though.
> >
> > If you need a good Debian-friendly router, I suggest buying Linksys
> > ACM 1200, 1900 or 3200.
>
> I will also highly recommend the higher end Buffalo's. I have a $70 mail
> order Netfinity, now quite a few years old, reprogrammed with the real
> dd-wrt. It has bounced every attack now for around 8 years. And I mean
> every. I do not have its radio enabled unless my boys are on site with
> their smartphones. And its not bridged to my local net anyway, only to
> the internet.

When you reprogram routers with dd-wrt, does that allow it to do, say,
wired bridging even though the manufacturer's formware doesn't allow
for that? Or is wired bridging something that requires certain
hardware inside the box? What's your bridging topology? I though you
might have an article on your website… :)

Cheers,
David.