Re: Finding image file underlying an icon on Mate desktop

On Wed 14 Mar 2018 at 20:35:15 (-0500), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 03/14/2018 05:30 PM, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> >On 2018-03-14, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >>Several months ago I needed a fully custom desktop icon for a shortcut.
> >>I had no trouble creating an appropriate png file and having it display.
> >>Now I need a similar icon. I went to the properties of the shortcut
> >>expecting to be able to discover the location of the image used.
> >>
> >>I could not. Clicking on the icon's image allows replacing it but no
> >>apparent way to discover its location.
> >>
> >>Is there a way?
> >>[for current application creating a new icon will be simple]
> >>[finding the old icon would be convenient]
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>

> >Examine the .desktop file in your ~/Desktop directory. Look for a line
> >beginning with "Icon".
> >

> I have *NO*  .desktop  under /home/richard/Desktop

Presumably because the configuration file is called something else.
My guess is ~/Desktop/.mate but perhaps if we all have a guess in
turn, somebody will stumble on the correct name and win a small prize.
OTOH you could look for yourself. No googling: that's cheating.

Cheers,
David.