Re: domain names, was: hostname

Darac Marjal wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Oh, for gawd's sake. Is there not an RFC for local domains ?
>>
>>There is, see RFC 7788 and RFC 8244. ".home", while being controversial,
>>is probably fine. And there's ".test", which is perfectly fine as far as
>>RFC 6761 concerned.
>
> There is a solution to all of this, of course. Stump up the few
> dollars/pounds/euro per year to register your own public domain name.
> You don't necessarily need to to anything with it, but if you're
> registered as the owner of, say, DavesHomeLAN.fr, then you don't really
> need to worry about it clashing with someone else.

Indeed.  Even gets you the benefit of being able to run TLS-enabled
services for yourself.

When I worked it out for myself, given my usage and some fuzzy maths (as
I don't know the exact breakdown of "my servers use X% of my Y kWh/month
electricity bill"), I am spending approximately $25 to $30 per month to
run stuff like my OwnCloud instance, when considering the electricity
costs, tls cert, domain name / ddns service, etc.

While I could probably "get away with" the $8.25 per month tier of
Dropbox (the only one I checked when writing this), I know I don't
always catch accidental data deletions very quick, so I'd probably want
to use the $16.50 tier. (NB -- costs based on paying for a year in full,
month-to-month is $9.99 / 19.99, respectively).

Now, I wouldn't just throw away my domain name (and the associated ddns
service) if I was using a cloud provider, so we're right back at $19 /
month for it.

I personally consider that $5 to $10 per month cost of "my data on my
hardware, and not subject to a service agreement that can change" to be
money well spent.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947