Re: troubleshooting Kmail

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 9:52 PM, <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
On Monday, February 19, 2018 3:16:20 PM EST deloptes wrote:
> Brad Rogers wrote:
> > So far, my experience with KDE/QT5 has been good;  Things that were, in
> > the past, broken, now work again.  I've not found anything wrong at all.
>
> yes a friend installed it and showed it to me, so the difference was there.
> I also looked at Qt5 and the Sailfish OS project - it is impressive.
>
> > That said, I don't now, nor have I ever, used kmail, so can't comment
> > about the state of play there.
>
> but this friend also does not user kmail and I am a heavy kmail user.
> And even kmail is not the problem but the attitude of the KDE team.

I am a long time kmail user.  I have noticed significant improvment in
stability and the filtering of incoming mail.  I use the filtering extensively.
Before the last release, at the beginning of a KDE session, filtering was OK,
but it slowed down with use.  In the latest version, it is extremely fast, and
it doesn't get slower with use.  The only "bug" I have found in this version
of kmail (5.5.2) is that an occasional "ghost" message will be in a folder and
can't be removed.  I store emails locally via IMAP--one message per file--and
except for the ghosts, I am extremely pleased.  I currently have over 126,000
messages stored and about 8 "ghost" messages.  I searched through the
individual files that contain the e-mails and I can't find files for the ghost
messages.

If the attitude of the KDE folks is the problem, please remember that they are
not full time KDE programmers and customer service is probably not their
strong suit.

Look, either something works or does not work. Those bugs and KDE not fixing them is not acceptable.
I know that they are not working full time or for profit. This is also not an excuse. Don't try to cover them and their attitude, please.
It is pointless. When they bring up a working product, I will start using it and I mean working at acceptable level.
Those problems you or others describe can not qualify the product as stable.
I am willing to do some compromise on my requirements, but there is too much to compromise on, looking at KDE.
And as I said - the biggest problem is their attitude. The attitude to release crap in stable and call it stable - call it whatever you want but not stable!

I don't know if you consider this a valid comparison or not, but:
In October 2017 (as I recall), my bank (which shall remain nameless) announced
that there would be a new version of the on-line access software coming out on
January 1st.  Then, around January 10th they announced that the upgrade had
some unresolved issues, and would not be rolled out until February 1st.
February 1st arrived and passed.  The new software was put in place on the
12th.  Since then, I have been unable to login to my account.  No help on the
screen.  When I called last week, they said that they were ware of the problem
and were working very hard to resolve it.  No apology.  They can tell me my
balance over the phone, but that is about it.  IMO, this is absurd.

Well this is what I am talking about - KDE is exactly the same - absurd!
I have to admit that KDE5 is much better that KDE4, but still - no stable and with that attitude and mind set, I doubt they will ever bring up something stable, which is really a pity.

I was involved in couple of discussions with them back in 2007 or 2008 after they released the KDE4 crap. Can you imagine this was 10y ago.

regards