troubleshooting Kmail

I sent a similar message to debian-kde this morning, but it appears there's
not much activity there, so I figured I'd also try here.

I've been a debian GNU/linux user (I like KDE for my desktop, though I
generally keep openbox (and gnome) available as "fallbacks") for quite some
time now (decades at least) and am in general a very happy user. I've been
using  both thunderbird and claws-mail as IMAP clients for some time, but
recently (a few months ago) I set up Kmail (and I like it very much, as
integration with gnupg was relatively painless). I am again using it as an
IMAP client (with this gmail address). I have two computers, both running
debian 9 stretch. On one of them (the laptop), Kmail is functioning properly,
but on the desktop machine which I'm writing from now, incoming email has not
been appearing since the end of January. I don't see any obvious menu
entries which would give me access to log files in order to try to
troubleshoot the problem, so I'm looking for any advice as to how I
might go about correcting the issue so this instance of Kmail can again
receive email (it's possible that the problem is as simple as an
incorrectly entered password though I've just attempted to reenter it with no
improvement in mail fetching behavior). I'm not currently subscribed to this
list, so CCing me is perfectly fine (though I'll monitor the web archives for

   thanks so much in advance for any clues anyone may have to share with me,
        ~c