Re: troubleshooting Kmail

Kmail has been broken for weeks. No action, just excuses. Might simply have to abandon it after all these years.

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018, 11:42 PM <mark@neidorff.com> wrote:
On Saturday, February 17, 2018 3:59:53 PM EST ernst doubt wrote:
> I sent a similar message to debian-kde this morning, but it appears there's
> not much activity there, so I figured I'd also try here.
>
> I've been a debian GNU/linux user (I like KDE for my desktop, though I
> generally keep openbox (and gnome) available as "fallbacks") for quite some
> time now (decades at least) and am in general a very happy user. I've been
> using  both thunderbird and claws-mail as IMAP clients for some time, but
> recently (a few months ago) I set up Kmail (and I like it very much, as
> integration with gnupg was relatively painless). I am again using it as an
> IMAP client (with this gmail address). I have two computers, both running
> debian 9 stretch. On one of them (the laptop), Kmail is functioning
> properly, but on the desktop machine which I'm writing from now, incoming
> email has not been appearing since the end of January. I don't see any
> obvious menu entries which would give me access to log files in order to
> try to troubleshoot the problem, so I'm looking for any advice as to how I
> might go about correcting the issue so this instance of Kmail can again
> receive email (it's possible that the problem is as simple as an
> incorrectly entered password though I've just attempted to reenter it with
> no improvement in mail fetching behavior). I'm not currently subscribed to
> this list, so CCing me is perfectly fine (though I'll monitor the web
> archives for responses on which I may not be CCed).
>
>    thanks so much in advance for any clues anyone may have to share with me,
> ~c

Ernst,

Things that come to mind...
The way IMAP works is e-mail is delivered to the mail server (google/gmail, is
what I think you said). Your client (kmail, thunderbird, etc) reads an email
message from the server. Then, depending on configuration, the message is saved
or deleted?  So, check your configuration to be sure that the IMAP server  is
configured to leave mail on the server after being read.
Also, have you checked that the version of kmail is the same on both
computers?

Mark

Have you ckecked the version of each instance of kmail?