Re: [likely out of luck] was -- Re: Using MATE's workspaces effectively

On 02/17/2018 05:11 AM, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:
On 2/17/18, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
On 2018-02-17, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

Both are good descriptions of what I want.
If it cannot be done in MATE, is there another desktop or approach that
will accomplish my goal?
TIA

Maybe KDE "activities" matches your desires:
[snip
https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html

That describes a solution.
See my reply to Curt for more details.

After I mentioned panel last night, I realized that all that would do
is... carry over the same between workspaces, too. Just popping in now
to wonder out loud if maybe it might someday be possible to script
something that is triggered by an active Workspace 1, Workspace 2,
etc.

As I proofread that tiny little bit, it further occurs to me that
there surely must be some way to do that. The packages that we scooch
around between workspaces have to be cluing in on something to know
that they are to stay put over there instead of right here in front of
us... unless their workspace is the one currently being viewed...
right here in front of us.

Cindy :)