Re: [likely out of luck] was -- Re: Using MATE's workspaces effectively

On 2/17/18, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2018-02-17, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>>
>> Both are good descriptions of what I want.
>> If it cannot be done in MATE, is there another desktop or approach that
>> will accomplish my goal?
>> TIA
>>

> Maybe KDE "activities" matches your desires:
>
>  The classic Linux desktop -- a workspace, a panel, and a menu --
>  remains the most popular design for a graphical interface.
>  Unfortunately, however, modern computers include too many applications
>  to fit on a single desktop. Many users respond by launching
>  applications from the menu, often drilling down several levels and
>  sometimes even relying on incomplete menus to reduce clutter. However,
>  KDE offers a more elegant solution in Activities, or multiple desktops,
>  each with its own set of icons.

>  Usually, however virtual workspaces are sub-divisions of a desktop,
>  extending workspace without the trouble of setting up multiple
>  monitors. Using virtual desktops, for example, you can keep your
>  browser or email reader open full-screen all the time.
>
>  By contrast, Activities are usually organized by tasks or project. By
>  setting up different Activities, you can place all the necessary
>  resources for a task or project in the workspace, a single click away.
>  In effect, they make the classic desktop practical again.
>
> https://www.datamation.com/open-source/how-to-setup-kde-activities.html

After I mentioned panel last night, I realized that all that would do
is... carry over the same between workspaces, too. Just popping in now
to wonder out loud if maybe it might someday be possible to script
something that is triggered by an active Workspace 1, Workspace 2,
etc.

As I proofread that tiny little bit, it further occurs to me that
there surely must be some way to do that. The packages that we scooch
around between workspaces have to be cluing in on something to know
that they are to stay put over there instead of right here in front of
us... unless their workspace is the one currently being viewed...
right here in front of us.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey