Re: 4 printer limit to cups printers is a debian limit, why?

On Monday 12 February 2018 17:25:01 Brian wrote:

> On Mon 12 Feb 2018 at 15:52:15 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > I assure you there is no limit of four print queues enforced  on
> > > Debian. Never has been. Ever.
> >
> > There is one someplace. I just read thru everything in /etc/cups*
> > without finding a hint.  Then I read thru all the brother install
> > scripts, again coming up blank. That was a 3 hour slog right there.
>
> Let's be very clear about this: there is no "someplace". As delivered
> to you, the Debian printing system allows a user to set up as many
> print queues as he wants. There is no deviation from upstream in any
> of the packages in this regard.
>
> > I wonder if I can change its name, like from MFC-J69220DW to
> > MFC-J6920DX (or Z)but forcibly use the same driver? Got to be some
> > way to get around this. Time for a better mousetrap perhaps?
>
> Different queues have different names. It is not possible to have more
> than one queue with the same name. Different queues can have a device
> URI and PPD in common, however.

So, the next time I need to setup a photo profile, using the glossy paper
in the top tray, I should change the name, not just the description, yet
use the same ppd, and change its defaults to whatever it needs to do
decent photo reproductions. I had it setup to do a faint, washed out
photo, but lost that when I tried to add the tabloid format this morning
because I've been considering doing a rockhopper diagram of all my
machines as what I did a year ago is now so obsolete as to be worthless
should I need to run down a configuration bug.  Unfortunately, the
rockhopper output is in vector gfx, and to magnify it to usable by
magnifying it to where the individual block of hal logic is big enough
to read its label, the whole thing is going to be 8 to 12 tabloid sheets
pasted up into a wall sized image.  Sure, it can be looked at by
firefox, but firefoxes magnification limit by pressing ctrl+ is about
100x too small. We can do it in inkscape but it spends 99% of its time
in swap, so the scanning speed is like watching grass grow.

You would be amazed at how a 700 loc hal file is displayed. Rockhopper
analyses a running instance, so paths that are gingerbread, skipped,
don't even show up. So unless you've got a reason for that code, it can
be hunted down and elided. It can indirectly indicate out of sequence
stuff that can be doing odd stuff to the latency of active data too. In
fact there have been times when I have actively made use of that effect
for a noise averaging filter. Rockhopper doesn't actually put a WTF
label on such construct but will show it clear enough to surprise the
reader.  Its an excellent troubleshooting tool.

Whats needed for its output on paper, is a tabloid sized binder that is
affordable. That does not exist at our local Staples for any price.
Trying to fold it up with all the scotch tape pasting it together is,
shall we say "frustrating", and where do you store a 4x8 foot sheet of
1/8th panel its taped to in a crowded 14x24 garage setting? I'm still
looking for an answer to that question. Something I did not consider in
2008 when I built that garage with 4 or 5 hours worth of help from the
next door neighbor laying shingles. I returned the favor the next year
when he did one of his own.

Got it, but try it with an existing profile first. Get the "competition"
out of the picture IOW.

Thanks. When I do it, I'll advise how it worked.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)