Re: 4 printer limit to cups printers is a debian limit, why?

On Monday 12 February 2018 14:09:49 Brian wrote:

> On Mon 12 Feb 2018 at 13:50:31 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I have 2 physical printers, a bottom of the line B&W laser that
> > manages to do utility print jobs at 19 ppm, and a huge ink squirter
> > with more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at.
> >
> > To do all of the job profiles this Brother MFC-J6920DW is capable
> > of, because among the various paper sizes it can handle is
> > borderless tabloid, aka 11x17. Its scanner can also handle that size
> > when the doc feeder is lifted and its laid directly on the glass,
> > but that is not germain to this problem.
> >
> > Do adequately describe the various jobs it can do, by selecting
> > the "printer" to send this job to, would need at least 8, individual
> > profiles setup in the cups menu's at localhost:631/printers.
> >
> > I have discussed this with Micheal Sweet, whom I've known longer
> > than linux has existed, and he assures me there is no such limit in
> > cups, never has been. Ever.
> >
> > So where is this limit, so that I can raise it to a dozen or so, and
> > get on with what I want to do?
>
> I assure you there is no limit of four print queues enforced  on
> Debian. Never has been. Ever.

There is one someplace. I just read thru everything in /etc/cups* without
finding a hint.  Then I read thru all the brother install scripts, again
coming up blank. That was a 3 hour slog right there.

I wonder if I can change its name, like from MFC-J69220DW to MFC-J6920DX
(or Z)but forcibly use the same driver? Got to be some way to get around
this. Time for a better mousetrap perhaps?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)