Re: libgparted bug.

On Fri 09 Feb 2018 at 04:20:51 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2018 04:11:42 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > That is not the problem, something is automounting the partition as
> > > soon as gparted unmounts the SOB, so by the time you start the
> > > resize, its mounted again and gparted is locked out.
> >
> > If explicit unmounting does not help, and if manual execution of the
> > gparted helper programs shows the same problems, then you will have
> > to do it without resizing. I.e. the oldfashioned way of making a new
> > partition with a new filesystem into which you copy the files of the
> > old filesystem.
> >

> > Have a nice day :)
> >
> > Thomas
>
> I killed udev for /dev/sdd, gparted works now. But I really need a
> quicker way than editing a udev rule. I wonder if I could make udev
> aware that gparted was running.  That would be ideal. So would
> meaningfull gparted error reporting without having to wade thru a
> kilobyte of (spit) html. I'm going back to bed...

Would I be write in thinking that killing sdd just there prevents the
appearance of /dev/disk/by-{this,that and the other} appearing also?

Do you run with a DE? What would happen if you tried all this in a VC
before starting X? My experience of wheezy, jessie (which you're
running?) and stretch is that nothing has ever automounted itself
unless I boot from a live stick. But I only run fvwm.

Cheers,
David.