Re: policy around 'wontfix' bug tag

On 07/02/18 02:18, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2018-02-06 14:36:31 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 06/02/18 02:11, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>>> You should set up a "Mail-Followup-To:" for that. This is entirely
>>> your problem.
>>
>> I could do that, I'm sure (though I'm not sure how) - but I'd rather
>> that someone intending to send me a private reply didn't send it to the
>> list by mistake. Having to (in my case) click 'Reply to List' helps me
>> not send to the list by mistake.
>
> This is not contradictory with the setting of "Mail-Followup-To:".
>
>> The behaviour and policy of this list, when followed, does what I want.
>
> But the other users cannot know what you want if you do not set
> "Mail-Followup-To:".

It's not really up to me, is it. If you're replying to my mail, it's
ultimately up to you to decide whether it's better to send to the list,
or to me.

My client (Thunderbird, at the moment) has a "Reply" button and a "Reply
List" button, so I can make that choice.

What's important is that that choice isn't restricted. If you set
Mail-Followup-To, you're attempting to make that choice for me (I
haven't been following who sets what headers, so I'm not sure what
Thunderbird does with it).

What's also reasonably important is that people don't accidentally send
a private reply to the list, so any header (whether added by the sender
or by the list) that causes the replying MUA to do that automatically
is, IMHO, a mistake.

Nobody here (for a change) seems to be suggesting that the list adds the
Reply-To header, which is good - that can break private replies entirely.

Richard