Re: policy around 'wontfix' bug tag

Hi,

Richard Hector wrote:
> When a maintainer tags a bug report with 'wontfix', is there not an
> expectation that they will say why?

Obviously the Debian Developers have much freedom how to act. At least
if it is about packaging and bug report processing.

As for Debian policy, in this case it is probably written in
  https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#tags
which says:
  "wontfix
   This bug won't be fixed. Possibly because this is a choice between two
   arbitrary ways of doing things and the maintainer and submitter prefer
   different ways of doing things, possibly because changing the behaviour
   will cause other, worse, problems for others, or possibly for other
   reasons."

If i wondered about such a tag without explanation and felt affected by
the bug, then i'd mail to the bug report asking for an explanation.

> I was just reading a bug report that seemed valid

Mind to share its number ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas