Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

Am DATE hackte AUTHOR in die Tasten: tomas@tuxteam.de
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 03:53:24PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> Do you have glib-x11 installed on your system?
>
> Hm. I don't find any library/package which has a similar name. I guess
> you mean libglib, but I might guess wrong.

Sorry, I ment dbus-x11

>   Depends: libbluetooth3 (>= 4.91), libc6 (>= 2.4), libglib2.0-0 (>=
> 2.31.8),
>     libpython3.5 (>= 3.5.0~b1), dconf-gsettings-backend |
> gsettings-backend,
>     python3 (<< 3.6), python3 (>= 3.5~), dbus, bluez (>= 4.61),
> obexd-client
>     (>= 0.47) | bluez-obexd, obexd-server (>= 0.47) | bluez-obexd,
>     python3-dbus, python3-gi, notification-daemon, librsvg2-common,
>     gnome-icon-theme, libpulse-mainloop-glib0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0,
>     gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, gir1.2-glib-2.0, gir1.2-pango-1.0,
>     gir1.2-notify-0.7, python3-cairo, python3-gi-cairo,
>     gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
>   Recommends: policykit-1

> No glib-x11 around, either...

dbus-x11 too

The question is only, which package must pull in dbus-x11?

I assume blueman, because bluez can be also used without blueman.

>> But glib-x11 has nothing to du with Recommends, because it is essential
>> for a working blueman..
>
> Hm. Sorry. I can't find that package.

loock for dbus-x11

>> > [fine tuning of your package system]
>>
>> "fine tuning" is good, if you even don't know, what is missing!
>
> Seems you had already got rid of Recommends...

Recommends are not Depends and blueman depends on dbus-x11

> Yes, but what/where is glib-x11? No package with this name, no package
> containing a file named like this (all on Debian Stretch, aka 9, aka
> stable). What am I missing?

Mistake be me:  dbus-x11

>> forest
>> >
>> > That sounds like some amount of fun (I always complaing about Berlin
>> being
>> > too cold :-/
>>
>> :-D
>>
>> Normally our winter is colder up to -30°C (not very often, but it
>> happen)
>
> Shudder :-)

Such thing happen if someone is sitting the whole day in front of a
screen...  Hihihi!  Look for some puppies and o walking twice a day!

<https://www.miila-mahe-aed.eu/animals/dogs.html>

They where born on 2017-11-20 and need very much attention!

> I see. I haven't much experience there: I'll have to look that up.
> Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in here.

>> He sayed unknown device
>
> Yes. It seems that for some reason, the init script is trying
> to bring up the device under its old name. So you might try to
> boot once appending " net.ifnames=0" to your kernel command
> line (I forgot how that is done with LILO, but I guess you know).

append="net.ifnames=0"

However, I can not find in /proc or /sys the Kernel commandline.
In the older kernels the file was named "comandline" but it is
not more there.

I was séarching for it, because I have to boot from LILO prompt in a
non-default runlevel by using

append="3"

but it does not boot into runlevel 3.  It is always the default 2.

I do not know, where the error is.

In case of problems with runlevel 2 I want to boot directly into
another one and also I have a runlevel which launch a very special
environment, which can not be done trough telinit and I do not want
to do this as root.

> To be fair, hardware beneath this has changed *a lot*, although we
> perceive those boxes as just "PCs" from the outside. And nowadays
> network interfaces, mass storage, etc. "come and go" even on low
> end hardware. So I do understand how that has come. But OTOH, learning
> and hacking has become more difficult.

True

>> Seufz, I liked the time of Debian Slink 2.1 in 1999!
>> Anything was soooo easy!
>
> :-)

I have still my CDs from Hamm, and on a DVD I have Buzz Rex and Bo.
Long time ago!

>> I nailed in the past the ethN on the HWAddress.
>
> This is a good idea, but it has its downsides too: Whenever you
> exchange the network card (or move the disk to another "identical"
> box), things stop working. Sometimes it does what you want,
> sometimes it doesn't :-)

True, but currently anything is working fine.
Hmmm, what is the lifetime of 3Com 100base-TX Network adapters?

Long time ago, they where the best on the market and ALL of my
computers (which do not have Ethernet on board) have them...

At least since 18 years

> Cheers
> - -- tomás

Thanks in advance