Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:03:15PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> #### DO not Cc: me, I am on THE LIST and I do not need ####
> #### messages twice which make it very hard to ansewer ####
>
> Hello Tomas,
>
> Am 2018-02-06 hackte tomas@tuxteam.de in die Tasten:
> >> I have installed on my ThinkPad T400 recently Stretch (base, xorg,  wdm,
> >> fvwm, gthumb, blueman, alsa...) only to discover, that 17 Packages  have
> >> missing Dependencies!
> >
> > the missing dependencies?
>
> I do not know currently, except that blueman depends on  glib-x11  which
> is confirmed by the maintainer.  It seems gthumb has the same dependency
> because sinde blueman is working gthumb too.

I can't parse very well your last sentence.

Anyway, since I have a similarly minimalistic system as you have (I think
I'm a tad worse: I tend to avoid DBUS when I can. I think it's ugly), I
tried a simulated install of blueman:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ apt -s install blueman
  NOTE: This is only a simulation!
        apt needs root privileges for real execution.
        Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
        so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  The following additional packages will be installed:
    bluez bluez-obexd dbus gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-gtk-3.0
    gir1.2-notify-0.7 libapparmor1 libappindicator3-1 libbluetooth3
    libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libical2 libindicator3-7
    libnotify4 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 notification-daemon python3-cairo
    python3-dbus python3-gi python3-gi-cairo
  Suggested packages:
    pulseaudio-module-bluetooth default-dbus-session-bus | dbus-session-bus
    python-dbus-doc python3-dbus-dbg
  Recommended packages:
    policykit-1
    blueman bluez bluez-obexd dbus gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 gir1.2-gtk-3.0
    gir1.2-notify-0.7 libapparmor1 libappindicator3-1 libbluetooth3
    libdbusmenu-glib4 libdbusmenu-gtk3-4 libical2 libindicator3-7 libnotify4
    libpulse-mainloop-glib0 notification-daemon python3-cairo python3-dbus
    python3-gi python3-gi-cairo
  [...]

So it does try to install quite a bit, but far from the whole Gnome,
Do you have somewhere in your apt configuration an "Install-Recommends
no"?

I have, for example in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/95no-recommends:

  APT::Install-Recommends no;

This is the only way to preserve sanity if you do care about a
minimalistic install, as you seem to do (the default is made for
people who want a "kinda-works-out-of-the-box" thing, which is
fine, but one should be aware of that).

> The dependendies are only satisfait if you install a full DE like Gnome,
> KDE or  other defaults by Debian.
>
> If you install the bare minimum like
>
> Debian base
> xorg
> wdm
> fvwmg
> thumb
> blueman
> alsa
> mc
>
> you have a non-working system!

See above. For such a system (I've myself Fvwm too, heh) some fine
tuning of your package system seems necessary.

[...]

> yes, if you know, WHICH package you need, it can be installed manually
> which is already confirmed by 3 Package  maintainers.   They  assumed,
> that Debian User install always  a  complete  system,  but  where  not
> thinking on users which do not need a full DE.
>
> Hence, some packages missing dependencies.

See above -- you need some tools to understand *why* the package system
"wants" to do things. One very nice one is the -s option to apt (or
apt-get), which means "simulate": there you can see what is going
to be installed. Another is apt show" <package name> which will tell
you what's in the package, which others it depends on (and which other
are "recommended" or "suggested", which may also be installed
automatically depending on your packager config: my hunch is that
this is what's happening to you).

> I will install a second stretch in a VM and install only  the  minimum
> and then Package by Package to  figure  out,  which  dependencies  are
> missing.
>
> It is a huge work, especially when I currently work in my 5,6ha forest
> on my BioFarm in Estonia (-10°C and 30cm snow).

That sounds like some amount of fun (I always complaing about Berlin being
too cold :-/

> > Is this your problem? Would you like to install (mostly) from a set of
> > ISOs on an USB stick or similar?
>
> My T400 was under Windows 7 and had a "hardware" error which refuse to
> burn ANY DVDs. So I installed the ISO bootable on the  USB  Stick  and
> added the second ISO to it.
>
> But it does not work.

How did you do that exactly? How do you get two DVDs ont one stick?

> Since my Interanet Server is also not running, I can not even install
> a local mirror.

I see... it should be possible to refer APT to a file system instead
of a DVD/CDROM.

> > Is this your problem? You can set a fixed IP address at install time,
> > or...
>
> This was exactly what was not working!
> The Installer could not continue.

I see.

> >> Now  I  have  tried  to  change  this  to  a   fixed   IP   address   in
> >> /etc/network/interfaces, but it showed no reaction, still  started  DHCP
> >> even if it is not configured.
> >
> > ...is this your problem? What did you do to your /etc/network/interfaces?
> > What is your init system?
>
> auto enp0s25
> iface enp0s25 inet static
>         address         192.168.0.202
>         netmask         255.255.255.0
>         gateway         192.168.0.1
>         network         192.168.0.0
>

> SysV
>
> > What do you do exactly? "ifup -a"? Or "ifup eth0"? What's the name of your
> > ethernet interface? The old-fashioned "ethX" or the new-fangled "en0pXXX"?
>
> the old fashion does not work anymore.

Heh. You can have that back (I personally don't like those new
network names -- see below[1]).

> I get an error "Device unknown"
>
>     ifup enp0s25

So "ifup -a" leads to "Device unknown", did I understand you there?
That would at least explain why the init script isn't working. So
you might want to try what john doe proposed: stop your network (yes
it won't work) with the init script:

  sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop

...and then start it again:

  sudo /etc/init.d/networking start

Watch carefully for error messages.

> > How should we know? Is the broken display important?
>
> Yes, because Debian Stretch does not more boot and I can not see the
> Lilo command prompt

Hm. This is, of course, nasty.

Uh... are you using Lilo? Or Grub?

> > [...] don't panic 8-)
>
> SEGFAULT!

:-)

[1] Those new-fangled network interface names are called "predictable
   interface names", which may sound sarcastic, but actually makes
   some sense. If you have several ethernet interfaces, the first
   one the kernel sees will be named "eth0", the second one "eth1",
   etc. Machines these days tend to be pretty dynamic, so the next
   time around, the names might be switched over. Imagine a firewall
   where the outward-bound and the inward-bound interfaces change.

   Whoops!

   But for me & my laptop, where I *just* have one eth0 and one
   wlan0, this scheme feels a bit... umm (let's be polite here).
   So I set "net.ifnames=0" in my kernel command line at boot
   and everything is fine again. Some set "biosdevname=0" too,
   but I don't know currently what that does.

   For Grub, set

   GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet net.ifnames=0"

   in /etc/default/grub, run update-grub, and I think that's it

Cheers
- -- tomás