Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 03:53:24PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am DATE hackte AUTHOR in die Tasten: tomas@tuxteam.de
> > On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:03:15PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> >> I do not know currently, except that blueman depends on  glib-x11  which
> >> is confirmed by the maintainer.  It seems gthumb has the same dependency
> >> because sinde blueman is working gthumb too.
> >
> > I can't parse very well your last sentence.
>
> Do you have glib-x11 installed on your system?

Hm. I don't find any library/package which has a similar name. I guess
you mean libglib, but I might guess wrong.

For reference, here's what apt show has to say about blueman on my
box:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ apt show blueman
  Package: blueman
  Version: 2.0.4-1
  Section: x11
  Maintainer: Christopher Schramm <debian@cschramm.eu>
  Installed-Size: 4959 kB
  Depends: libbluetooth3 (>= 4.91), libc6 (>= 2.4), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8),
    libpython3.5 (>= 3.5.0~b1), dconf-gsettings-backend | gsettings-backend,
    python3 (<< 3.6), python3 (>= 3.5~), dbus, bluez (>= 4.61), obexd-client
    (>= 0.47) | bluez-obexd, obexd-server (>= 0.47) | bluez-obexd,
    python3-dbus, python3-gi, notification-daemon, librsvg2-common,
    gnome-icon-theme, libpulse-mainloop-glib0, gir1.2-gtk-3.0,
    gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0, gir1.2-glib-2.0, gir1.2-pango-1.0,
    gir1.2-notify-0.7, python3-cairo, python3-gi-cairo,
    gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1
  Recommends: policykit-1
  Homepage: https://github.com/blueman-project/blueman
  Tag: role::program, uitoolkit::gtk
  Download-Size: 1703 kB
  APT-Sources: http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
   Blueman is a GTK+ bluetooth management utility for GNOME using bluez D-Bus

No glib-x11 around, either...

> > Anyway, since I have a similarly minimalistic system [...]

> > So it does try to install quite a bit, but far from the whole Gnome,
>
> Looks quit the same, if I look in the install log

Ah, OK.

> > Do you have somewhere in your apt configuration an "Install-Recommends
> > no"?
> >
> > I have, for example in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/95no-recommends:
> >
> >   APT::Install-Recommends no;
>
> If I would say yes, it would install several 100 MByte more, which I
> absolutely not want.  I have nearly all packages installed, which I also
> had under Wheeze but Stretch is more then twice as bib as Wheeze.
>
> The partition is 10 GByte big and I have only 1100 MByte left over.

OK, I see. Sorry if I sometimes ask things which may be obvious to
you.

[...]

> But glib-x11 has nothing to du with Recommends, because it is essential
> for a working blueman..

Hm. Sorry. I can't find that package.

> > [fine tuning of your package system]
>
> "fine tuning" is good, if you even don't know, what is missing!

Seems you had already got rid of Recommends...

> > See above -- you need some tools to understand *why* the package system
> > "wants" to do things. One very nice one is the -s option to apt (or
> > apt-get),
>
> apt does not tell me (Recommends/Suggests) that I need glib-x11 to get
> something working, because even if you have Recommends/Suggests set to
> no, apt-get show always what can be also installed together.

Yes, but what/where is glib-x11? No package with this name, no package
containing a file named like this (all on Debian Stretch, aka 9, aka
stable). What am I missing?

[...]

> I have just extracted my "base install" into a chroot and tried to
> install blueman but it does not suggest or recommend essential the
> essential package to get blueman working.
>
> This has absolutely nothing to do with Recommends/Suggests.

Yes agreed, but... where is glib-x11? Is blueman complaining? in which
way?

[...]

> >> It is a huge work, especially when I currently work in my 5,6ha forest
> >> on my BioFarm in Estonia (-10°C and 30cm snow).
> >
> > That sounds like some amount of fun (I always complaing about Berlin being
> > too cold :-/
>
> :-D
>
> Normally our winter is colder up to -30°C (not very often, but it happen)

Shudder :-)

> > How did you do that exactly? How do you get two DVDs ont one stick?
>
> I was following the instructions from the Debian Website and downloaded
> a Windows tool, which extract the content of an ISO image and copy it
> bootable on the USB Stick.
>
> The second DVD was copied into a subfolder DVD2/
>
> I could boot from USB, installed the base and rebooted.
> And now I could not more access the USB stick even if it was registered
> in /etc/apt/sources.list because apt want to mount a DVD Rom and not an
> USB Stick.
>
> So, something is wrong in the install instructions
>
> > I see... it should be possible to refer APT to a file system instead
> > of a DVD/CDROM.
>
> But it seems not to work under Stretch, because in the past I have
> created from /var/cache/apt/archives a local mirror for other
> installations.

I see. I haven't much experience there: I'll have to look that up.
Perhaps someone with more experience can chime in here.

> > Heh. You can have that back (I personally don't like those new
> > network names -- see below[1]).
> >
> >> I get an error "Device unknown"
> >>
> >>     ifup enp0s25
> >
> > So "ifup -a" leads to "Device unknown", did I understand you there?
>
> "ifup eth0" gaved it.

Aha.

> > That would at least explain why the init script isn't working. So
> > you might want to try what john doe proposed: stop your network (yes
> > it won't work) with the init script:
> >
> >   sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
> >
> > ...and then start it again:
> >
> >   sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
> >
> > Watch carefully for error messages.
>
> He sayed unknown device

Yes. It seems that for some reason, the init script is trying
to bring up the device under its old name. So you might try to
boot once appending " net.ifnames=0" to your kernel command
line (I forgot how that is done with LILO, but I guess you know).

The alternative would be to debug /etc/init.d/networking,
perhaps by sneaking a "set -x" somewhere at the top of the
script.

> if I vet the prompt and log into as root and then type
>
>    ifup enp0s25
>
> it works.

"ifup -a" should work then too...

> > [1] Those new-fangled network interface names are called "predictable
> >    interface names" [...]

> How many peoples have more then one Ethernet Interface in the computer?
>
> The ones WHO have, know anyway how to manage  them.   My  Router  has  2
> 4-Port GBit cards and I know every interface by heart. I think,  I  will
> by  a  new  HDD  before  I  upgrade  to  Stretch.   Debian  now  becomes
> unpredictable.

To be fair, hardware beneath this has changed *a lot*, although we
perceive those boxes as just "PCs" from the outside. And nowadays
network interfaces, mass storage, etc. "come and go" even on low
end hardware. So I do understand how that has come. But OTOH, learning
and hacking has become more difficult.

> Seufz, I liked the time of Debian Slink 2.1 in 1999!
> Anything was soooo easy!

:-)

> I nailed in the past the ethN on the HWAddress.

This is a good idea, but it has its downsides too: Whenever you
exchange the network card (or move the disk to another "identical"
box), things stop working. Sometimes it does what you want,
sometimes it doesn't :-)

Cheers
- -- tomás