Reply semantics (was Re: policy around 'wontfix' bug tag)

(I should probably have changed the Subject: line in my initial reply,
but I didn't expect it to spark an entire lengthy subthread like this. I
apologize for having introduced thread-subject confusion.)

On 2018-02-06 at 08:18, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2018-02-06 14:36:31 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>
>> On 06/02/18 02:11, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>>
>>> You should set up a "Mail-Followup-To:" for that. This is
>>> entirely your problem.
>>
>> I could do that, I'm sure (though I'm not sure how) - but I'd
>> rather that someone intending to send me a private reply didn't
>> send it to the list by mistake. Having to (in my case) click 'Reply
>> to List' helps me not send to the list by mistake.
>
> This is not contradictory with the setting of "Mail-Followup-To:".

Arguably, if the mailing list does not default replies back to it
normally, a responder who wishes to send a private reply may not be
expecting that Reply will go to the mailing list, and so (when
Mail-Followup-To is set to the list address) may fail to notice that
adjusting the addressee list is needed.

This boils down to expectations of default behavior, and as I said at (I
think) the outset here, there are two incompatible philosophies about
what the default should be.

>> The behaviour and policy of this list, when followed, does what I
>> want.
>
> But the other users cannot know what you want if you do not set
> "Mail-Followup-To:".

They should not have to.

They should be able to assume that you have taken all necessary actions
to ensure that you see any replies you want to see.

That could involve setting the header, or it could involve subscribing
to the mailing list, or it could involve requesting explicitly (in the
body of the mail or in your signature) to be CCed, or it could involve
something else.

But all of those actions should be on your part. The person who is
replying should be able to assume that just hitting Reply will do the
right thing, unless you have explicitly conveyed information to indicate
otherwise.

--
   The Wanderer