Re: Got tired of waiting for suspend/resume (something like that)

On 2018-02-01, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Still, I'm uncertain what goes into /etc/fstab.
>
>>    /dev/mapper/swap none swap sw 0 0
>
>> ?
>
> Yes, this is correct. With crypted-swap you need to use the device
> mapper device, because the UUID changes on every boot, as you
> discovered. (Which is the point of having a freshly encrypted swap using
> a random key during boot.)

Thank you; actually, as noted in yet another recursive response, in my
particular case it was /dev/mapper/*cryptswap1* ..., corresponding to
the 'name' in /etc/crypttab (Nicolas Georges told me as much (to use
the 'name' in crypttab in my /etc/fstab entry), but I didn't grok right
away what was 'name' and what was not 'name' in that file.

Maybe an encrypted swap is overkill in a home alone machine; I am now
idly wondering whether there exists any documented (and successful) remote
unencrypted swap attacks. Then again, as they say here, encrypting your
swap "ça ne mange pas de pain," except for the bug (and the fact that
the tutorial I followed to encrypt my home directory never said anything
about changing /etc/fstab following swap encryption--or maybe I missed it).

--
“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class
is running the country.” – Kurt Vonnegut